Monday, February 11, 2008

Welcome Back, Boys!



Whew! What a weekend of racing!

Junior wins. Major congrats to him and his new team!

The other big story was, of course Smoke versus Busch. There are a lot of people coming down on both sides of this duel. The behavioral issues, the safety issues. Personally, I think it's great. (Of course, I'm not NASCAR, the owners, sponsors, or crew members of either team, so I don't have to make decisions, make apologies or make new cars.) To me, it's all compelling, controversial, infinitely debatable and watchable. The FOX executives were no doubt opening champagne after Friday night. I see great memoirs for these guys in the future. As a fiction writer, I bow to the greatness of action and emotion.

As for a plot twist, there isn't much of a surprise, though. Do you expect a duck to bark? These guys are both driven, volitile, competitive people. You don't turn that off like a light switch. That's WHY we're riveted to every lap--to see what'll happen. This isn't Gardening for the Elderly Wheelchair-Bound, this is big-time auto racing, and I, for one, am glad it means so much that these guys forget what's proper or PC or kind or agreeable.


It's been a long, cold off-season. Welcome back, boys!